Maybe you're the perfect parent. Maybe you have perfect children. If (when) your children happen to have a tantrum, I'm sure you react perfectly, and it's over quickly. I'm sure if (when) you children throw a fit, they have a good reason that you can easily understand. (No, you can't have a cookie right now.)
I have a confession to make: I am not the perfect parent. My children are not perfect. Yes, my children act like, well, children. They beg. They get told "no". Quit often, actually. One of my children happens to have Asperger's Syndrome (a high-functioning, mild form of Autism). I tell him "no" every day, multiple times a day. "Aspergians" are very smart and have large vocabularies (often beyond what they comprehend). They also tend to get stuck on particular subjects and activities. They think about it non-stop, which creates tension. They will almost obsess until they can resolve that tension by participating in the activity, etc. They have a hard time managing relationships and emotions. For instance, if a conflict occurs in a friendship (even something simple, like not being able to sit with a friend at lunch), that stress can build and build and build until a completely non-related event (e.g.not getting a quarter to play the "crane game" at the grocery store) results in a total melt-down. When I say melt-down, I'm not talking about a tantrum, like a typical young child. A melt-down usually involves screaming at full volume, various shades of the face, complete body stiffness, hitting and kicking of anything close-by, and refusal to comply with any type of demands, commands, or requests. Melt-downs can last a few minutes to several hours (days). As a parent it's difficult to understand why my child has had such a fit over not getting a quarter to play a game. Often, I am physically and emotionally exhausted after a melt-down. After they are over, it's like my son doesn't remember even it happening. It's difficult to not be angry with him. It's only after these "fits" are over that we can sometimes discuss what he is really upset about (not sitting with his buddy at lunch earlier in the day).
I've come to the conclusion, however, that unless you have a special-needs child, or have been privileged enough to experience a true melt-down from start to finish and see the resolution, you can never understand what it is like. In the same why, I don't know what it is like for parents who have children with cancer. I don't know their struggles. However, you can be sure that if they decide to share a need with me, or explain their situation, I will do my best to listen.
What about you? How do you react when someone is going through trials very different than your own? Or how about when you see a "spoiled child" who is "misbehaving" out in public? My request to you is that you don't be so quick to pass judgment. My request to you is that you, if only for a moment, put yourself in that parent's situation. What if your children had special needs? How would you want others to react? How would you feel when all eyes are on you in the mall? Would you want compassion? Would you want someone to listen without rolling their eyes?
In Matthew 5, Jesus delivers the Sermon on the Mount. These are some of my favorite passages. This is where we find the "beattitudes". "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy" Matt 5:7
Please keep this in mind when you encounter things you don't understand, or think you could handle better.
If you don't understand, please feel free to ask. Most parents of special needs children will happily explain to you, if you are genuine in your concern.
By my wonderful husband Daniel
Thursday, July 28, 2011
MAYBE
Posted by Mrs. Braverwold at 7:22 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment